ItKindaWorks Forum

A forum for everything that Kinda Works YouTube.com/ItKindaWorks

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the ItKindaWorks Forum

#1 2018-01-24 03:35:11

jaromanda

Internet of Swimming Pool

After tinkering with ESP8266's for over a year, I finally put together something useful! One box that:

• Relay for pool

• Relay for pool light

• Waterproof DS18B20 measures pool water temperature

• BME280 to measure Temperature, Humidity and Barometric Pressure

• Override button for the pool pump

I didn't include a physical button for the pool light because for where the box is located it made little sense to have a button there. I'll probably add a button to my next project which will measure rain and wind, which will be located near the pool, so why not.

The Pi, through cron, turns the pump on and off automatically. Eventually I will store the environmental data in a database, but I'm more focused on getting the hardware side of things optimised.

The pool/light status and environment measurements are all sent using MQTT to a Raspberry Pi B (1) running (password protected) Mosquitto - haven't yet set up a truly secured MQTT, but as I want to connect from outside my home, I'm definitely going to do that.

And of course the pump and light can be controlled using MQTT, and using "MQTT dash" on an android device makes the whole control process simple.

I started writing all this a while back, not using ESPHelper, then stumbled on ESPHelper and realised I was "reinventing the wheel" as far as abstracting the fiddly bits. Now I no longer have to concern myself with the fiddly bits big_smile MQTT works flawlessly, and OTA is brilliant.

Hardware-wise, the weatherproof box that houses the ESP, relays, button and 5V power supply looks like a dogs breakfast. But I've designed a PCB to clean up much of the wiring, just waiting for that to arrive to tidy things up a bit.

#2 2018-01-24 22:20:46

cromer
Administrator
Website

Re: Internet of Swimming Pool

Holy crap dude this is an amazing sounding project! yikes I'm seriously humbled by the fact that my little library helped bring this all together! The most mission critical thing that I have running with ESPHelper is my heating system (I ran it along side my existing thermostat for a long time until I finally felt like it actually worked because... well I think my channel name says it all when it comes to most things I make wink )

Do you have any pictures and/or documentation of this? I'd love to see the various bits of it and the code behind it if you're willing to share.

Creator of ItKindaWorks

#3 2018-02-03 09:30:30

jaromanda

Here's the inside of the box

pool_Switch.jpg

The green PCB is my own design, supports 2 relays, 1 button 2 led's (in this case, the button has red and green LED's, which is lit depends on the polarity of the supplied power), DS18B20's and a BME280 (not using this)

For the moment I'm only using 1 relay (not pictured) - there are stability issues when using 2 relays - I think my 5v power supply is too weak. Even when using both relays, I'll only use one button

Before the PCB, I used a NodeMCU v1.0 and the wiring was a real rats nest! The PCB is designed for a Wemos D1 mini and it works rather well.

#4 2018-03-01 02:47:06

Sparky056

Looks like a very clean install.  I like the rain tight box and rain tight box connectors.  The neatness inside is nice to see. smile
I'm a retired electrician.  Nice work.

Board footer