ItKindaWorks Forum

A forum for everything that Kinda Works YouTube.com/ItKindaWorks

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the ItKindaWorks Forum

#1 2017-12-27 17:21:27

Daniel

Home Automation at Home Part 6: RGB Light

Hello, there! First of all, thank you for your great videos! I'm from Brazil and alread watched a lot of ItKindaWorks youtube videos. Most of all the HomeKit kinds.

I have a simple question about this tutorial: What I have to change to use a RGBW led strip instead the RGB?

Thanks and keep the good work!

#2 2017-12-27 18:27:02

cromer
Administrator
Website

Re: Home Automation at Home Part 6: RGB Light

Hey Daniel! Glad to hear you enjoy the videos!

Y'know I've thought a lot about doing RGBW but it never really works the way I want it to. Electrically it would be fairly easy to add in a 4th transistor/resistor pair to control the W channel but programmatically it's harder. I tried doing it once and never really got the mix to work very well. I'm sure someone with more color theory than I have would be able to help more. One thing that I think I tried at some point was to map the white value to the inverse of the saturation (white = map(saturation, 100 , 0, 0, 1023)) but that gave weird results too if I remember correctly.

I don't know if I ever stumbled upon this forum post over on the Arduino forums but there does seem to be some good discussion on the topic as well as some links to some solid color theory https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topi … msg3367474

This post also seems to go into quite a lot of detail on the subject, you might have a look there http://blog.saikoled.com/post/446777187 … -rgb-white

Good luck man, let me know if you come up with a good solution, I'd be excited to see a working RGBW solution because I have a bunch of RGBW strip just laying around just waiting to go into service!

~IKW

Creator of ItKindaWorks

#3 2017-12-27 20:53:46

Daniel

Hi there, again! Thank you for your quick reply. Because I'm a noob in programming I will not try make a RGBW control.

Butttttt, I will try do your tutorials as son as possible. I let you know the results.

Thanks again!

#4 2017-12-27 22:44:03

cromer
Administrator
Website

Well hopefully someone else can chime in at some point and give us all a little insight into integrating a white channel into the RGB software.

Always happy to help. Have fun building!

~IKW

Creator of ItKindaWorks

Board footer