ItKindaWorks Forum

A forum for everything that Kinda Works YouTube.com/ItKindaWorks

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the ItKindaWorks Forum

#1 2018-02-12 22:19:46

agengler11

Dash Buttons

Im making some dash buttons to do things like turn on lights and stuff but I want to find a battery that will last a few months and be small enough for a decent size button. Can I stack some 3 volt CR2032s together or what would be the best , smallest rechargeable?

#2 2018-02-13 03:57:50

cromer
Administrator
Website

Re: Dash Buttons

Although I have seen projects that make some impressive use of a 2032 to power an ESP, it's usually a fairly complex circuit to suck every last bit of juice out of them. The problem is that at their peak their voltage is 3.1-3.2V which is already below the nominal voltage for an ESP. They also cant output a whole lot of instantaneous current which could be an issue with a power hungry ESP when connecting/tx to wifi.

What I would recommend would be to use a 14500 cell. It's a Li-ion standard size that is roughly the same physical size as a AA battery. They don't hold nearly as much as an 18650 but you could probably get one to run for a couple months at a time. Seeing as the Amazon dash button uses AA batteries that should be a good enough form factor for your own project. If you really go crazy you should be able to stretch one out to 6+ months (I know that people have gotten ESPs down to less than half of what I had in my video - I'm not exactly sure how but it's certainly possible to get wayyy down there in deep sleep).

Creator of ItKindaWorks

Board footer